Date: Saturday, December 7, 2019
Start time: 6:30 a.m.
To Register: Visit UltraSignUp. Discounts are available to members of established running clubs and active members of the military and their immediate families. Please contact Race Director for applicable discount codes.
For the 2019 event, a runner who drops out and advises Race Director of such by October 31, 2019 will be entitled to a full refund of the entry fee. No refunds or roll-overs past that date.
- Race begins at 6:30 a.m. from Sunrise Trailhead and finishes at Stagecoach Trails RV Resort & Campground in Shelter Valley. There is a 14-1/2 hour limit to finish (9:00 p.m.).
- There are two on-course cut-offs:
- Paso Picacho Aid Station at 2:00 p.m. (7-1/2 hours).
- Pedro Fages Aid Station at 4:30 p.m. (10 hours)
- NOTE: Race management reserves the right to pull any runner at any time.
There is no crew access at Museum, West Mesa and S2 aid stations.
Crew, family, and friends may see their runner at Sweetwater, Paso Picacho, Big Bend, and Pedro Fages aid stations. Further, while S2 has no crew access, crew can meet their runners in Blair Valley by entering the dirt road directly across from mile marker 24 on S2. (Bear right shortly after entering dirt road and follow for approximately ¼ mile to circular area. You will see signpost for California Riding & Hiking Trail).
Pacers are allowed and can join their runner at either Big Bend or Pedro Fages.
On-Course Race Management:
- Headlamps/flashlights: All runners leaving Pedro Fages aid station after 1 p.m. MUST carry a headlamp or flashlight. As such, if you are planning on using drop bags, include your lamp in the drop bag headed to Pedro Fages.
- Hydration: Water and Tailwind will be available at all aid stations. However, due to the nature of the course, all runners must carry at least 20 ounces of hydration with them.
- Jackets, gloves, etc.: Be aware of the weather forecast prior to race day. Average temperatures for this time of year range from a low of about 30 to a high in the low 50’s. As such, you may want to begin the race wearing layers (which you can dispose of in your Sweetwater drop bag, if you wish). Similarly, your Pedro Fages drop bag should include some sort of jacket, etc., as you will likely be out on the course after the sun has set.
- Food/nutrition: Aid stations, in addition to water and Tailwind, will carry the usual assortment of ultra foods, such as salty snacks, sweets, PB&J sandwiches, boiled potatoes, etc., plus Hammer gels, cola, and ginger ale.
All entrants will receive a tech t-shirt. All finishers will receive a medal. Top 3 male and female winners will receive awards. You may pick up your bib and t-shirt at the start the morning of the race. All runners MUST check-in at the start.
The race finishes at Stagecoach Trails RV Resort & Campground in Shelter Valley. There is a dining hall and kitchen where you can relax after the race and enjoy a hot meal, which will be provided to you. Further, there are showers available. Should you and your crew wish to spend the night, you can make reservations at http://www.stagecoachtrails.com
Nearest hotel accommodations for the start are in Julian, about 8-10 miles drive: http://www.visitjulian.com/lodging/hotels-inns/ Cuyamaca Rancho State Park offers camping at Paso Picacho Campground and Green Valley Campground.
Mt. Laguna Lodge (about 10 miles to the south): http://lagunamountain.com
Alternately, you may choose to spend Friday night at Stagecoach Trails RV Resort & Campground, where the race will finish on Saturday. Of course, you can make reservations for Saturday night, as well. http://www.stagecoachtrails.com
Directions to the start:
From San Diego: I-8 East. Exit Sunrise Highway. Turn left off exit. Proceed approximately 20 miles. Parking area is on west side of the road (your left) shortly after mile marker 34. For Google map directions, type in: 14833 Sunrise Highway, Julian, CA
From North County: Highway 78 through Julian. Turn right onto Highway 79 towards Cuyamaca. Proceed approximately 6 miles. Turn left onto Sunrise Highway (S1). Proceed approximately 4 miles. Parking area will be on your right. For Google map directions, type in: 14833 Sunrise Highway, Julian, CA
Directions to the finish from Julian (intersection of Highway 78 and 79):
Head down Banner Grade (Highway 78) towards the desert floor. Continue on Highway 78 once on the desert floor until you see a sign for I-8 on your right. Turn right onto S2 (Great Southern Overland Stage Route of 1849) – note there is no left turn at this intersection. Follow S2 for several miles until you see the Stagecoach Trails RV Resort & Campground on your right. Google address: 7878 Great Southern Overland Stage Route Of 1849, Julian, CA 92036
Looking for some help training for the race?
Ghost Runners Ultra Coaching is one of our valued partners for Pinnacle Endurance! Their 16-week complete ultra training program includes nutrition before and during your race, strength and running plans, along with support from Coaches to ensure your commitment plan! Racing a shorter distance? No problem! Coaching programs can be customized for YOUR race and YOUR goals!” Check out their Facebook page or email email@example.com for more info.